[csw-maintainers] Completely drop Solaris8?

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Tue Mar 16 20:17:19 CET 2010

Hi

> I'm even for dropping Solaris 9 (who gives a Greek drachma on so old
> versions?) but all that voting was never taken into account; better to
> howl into the wind.

Dropping Solaris 9 would be the real change.

IMHO dropping only solaris 8 won't change things that much. Since we do
almost have no specific Solaris 9 packages, switching to Solaris 9 would
be in most of cases, just "please wait until something happens". And
what would happen would be recompile existing packages to Solaris 9 next
time they are updated.

If we consider :
. the number of outdated packages, and
. the fact that we do not release "versions" in the debian way (i mean
we are not going to recompile everything under solaris 9 at once)

Nothing would change at short term, or at least not significantly before
Solaris 9 EOL (which does not mean i'm against the idea of dropping
Solaris 9).

If we decide to do such a drop (solaris 8 or both 8 and 9), i'm
wondering several things. Especially :

. should we do or not do a kind "rebuild world"
. should we do a mass update at the same time ?

Otherwise i'm afraid that just announcing "we drop Solaris 8" won't
change anything before months since users will still see several
hundreds of Solaris 8 packages in the catalog.

cheers
W.

--
William                  http://www.wbonnet.net