[csw-maintainers] merge issue with 64-bit builds (was [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs libproxy)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Mar 22 20:01:22 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Specific tools aside, this is a question for release managers: is it
> worth the trouble to cherry-pick binaries like this, risking an error?
>  If so, how do we ensure that errors don't happen?  (think: automated
> checks)  Otherwise, maybe there's less overall risk in just including
> the 64-bit binaries, even though they might run slightly slower?

short answer:
I thought Dagobert already announced a few weeks ago, that he was
going to change GAR to default to ONLY building/adding in libraries
for 64bit, unless explicitly told to do otherwise?

longer answer:

This isnt a problem without GAR.
GAR should be fixed so it doesnt introduce problems, rather than
approaching things from the backward approach of "this is difficult to
do in GAR, so we should make GAR happy"
:-/

"This is difficult to do in GAR" should not ever be a rationale for
packaging a certain way. Policy choices should be based on what the
user sees.