[csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front

Jake Goerzen jgoerzen at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 23 00:11:42 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>

>>> The "good" news is, we can probably just keep the legacy gtk libraries
>>> for those purposes.
>>
>> So we don't provide newer versions which allow 3d acceleration?
>>

> well, the question is.. HOW do we do that?
>
> Dago, you are the person who provided our current gtk2 libs.
>
> Do you wish to go back,and redo it, and all its dependencies, to see
> if it can be made to work on sun X11 after all? :-}

Phil was right to express reluctance to releasing X11 packages.
IMHO we should roll back to before the CSW X11 packages recently
released.  Then make that our stable release.  Then move on to Solaris
10.  The reason I say this is because it seems like we have been
trying to sort of "back port" newer features that are in Solaris 10
into Solaris 8 packages so that we can build on Solaris 8 and then run
on Solaris 10.

For example the CSWlibxv package was originally created by me way back
before the blastwave split.  I packaged it because Solaris 8 didn't
have libxv but Sol 10 does.  This enabled me to compile and link ogle
against libxv on Solaris 8 but that didn't mean Xv extension was
available on solaris 8!

Thanks,
Jake