[csw-maintainers] Bugreport on alternatives with NFS-shared /opt/csw

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 23 17:11:54 CET 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Mar 23 11:56:36 -0400 2010:

> How about you refer our customer to the code, reference my email
> suggestions here, and say to him, "sorry I dont have much time, but
> if you would like to fix the code so that it works this other way
> instead, that would be acceptible".

Indicating that, of course, patches would need to be accepted upstream
so they're not a constant burden on us going forward?

I also don't think the current implementation is actually broken,
btw.  It may be broken wrt to running it in conjunction with NFS
shared directories and zones, but in Linux-land (where it originated),
this isn't a problem.  (I've yet to see shared binaries on NFS in
Linux...could happen, obviously, but I don't think it's common.)

Having everything 'bounced' through a single alternatives/ directory
gives a nice place to see where _all_ alternatives are pointing.

HTH