[csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 24 10:26:19 CET 2010

William Bonnet <william at wbonnet.net> writes:

> Hi
>
> First of all sorry for being offline a few days when this topic was hot...
>>>
>>> well, the question is.. HOW do we do that?
>>>
>>> Dago, you are the person who provided our current gtk2 libs.
>>>
>>> Do you wish to go back,and redo it, and all its dependencies, to see
>>> if it can be made to work on sun X11 after all? :-}
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it can. However, before doing so I would like to
>> hear some
>> feedback from William what he thinks about it.
>
> Well i don't really define myself as a X11 expert ;) but i have to say
> that i am one of the very first to have pushed for a X11 update. This
> choice was motivated by the fact that most of the recent applications
> ( like FF3 and newer 3.5 3.6, of TB 3, etc.) do not compile against
> older version of X11.
>
> I do fully agree that pushing this out was maybe done too fast, and
> this is my fault. It also lights out that we should really set up non
> regression test, to prevent from this kind of situation.
>
> Today my mind is really shared. I'm afraid that we have to face a
> situation which is choosing between two answers :
>
> A. Stick to current X11 version, and accept to stick to old versions
> of software
> B. Upgrade to latest X11, got up to date versions of software and
> definitely drop older version of Solaris OS
>
> This is a binary decision, but unfortunately this is the real
> situation. I spent so many hours trying to make FF and TB working on
> solaris 8 that i should speak of days or weeks instead of hours...
>
> IMHO, Solaris 10 is no longer the future. It is today. And soon it
> will be the past... I see no real reason to stick to older version if
> being compliant to this version are blocking us.

Well, this bring us to the same decision, discussed in another thread:
to abandon Solaris 8 and, if it seems that the X11 version supplied with
it is not satisfactory, abandon Solaris 9 also.

When will the board organize a real vote on this? Or are we a bunch of
masochists?

Procrastinating on this issue is not to the benefit of our project. And,
please, please, don't bring up, again, the theme of an hypothetical
stable release! I'm not anymore an agnostic but an unbeliever of this
myth.

--
Peter