[csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 25 13:41:16 CET 2010

On 25/03/10, 09:15:51, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front:

> >> Well, this bring us to the same decision, discussed in another thread:
> >> to abandon Solaris 8 and, if it seems that the X11 version supplied with
> >> it is not satisfactory, abandon Solaris 9 also.
> >
> > Not so fast, this topic (OpenGL) affects Solaris 10 too.

> It does not if we don't use our brew of X11.

QED.  It's still not Solaris rev specific.

> >> Procrastinating on this issue is not to the benefit of our project. And,
> >> please, please, don't bring up, again, the theme of an hypothetical
> >> stable release! I'm not anymore an agnostic but an unbeliever of this
> >> myth.
> >
> > The irony of this is that it is stable and the desire to leave a Solaris
> > 8 collection in a usable state that is being blocked by X11, so
> > preventing moving on with grace.

> Ironic or not this is stagnating since more than a year, isn't it?

> All of the above shows the incapacity of our project to make a decision.

Correct and the action depends on desire and opportunity.  We can't
decide to release stable if the opportunity is not there because it is
not stable and there seems no desire to create the opportunity.  This
is unrelated to Solaris 8 as the packages are currently similar across
revs.

James.