[csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 25 14:31:46 CET 2010

Hi James,

Am 25.03.2010 um 13:41 schrieb James Lee:
>>> The irony of this is that it is stable and the desire to leave a
>>> Solaris
>>> 8 collection in a usable state that is being blocked by X11, so
>>> preventing moving on with grace.
>
>> Ironic or not this is stagnating since more than a year, isn't it?
>> All of the above shows the incapacity of our project to make a
>> decision.
>
> Correct and the action depends on desire and opportunity.  We can't
> decide to release stable if the opportunity is not there because it is
> not stable and there seems no desire to create the opportunity.  This
> is unrelated to Solaris 8 as the packages are currently similar across
> revs.

There is desire. However, obviously no one has identified of what needs
to be done. Ben offered to kick people to update their stuff and keep
track of progress if anyone would identify it. Other than the general
"X11 is broken here" was not identified.

The approach by Maciej with generational releases has been torpedod,
so there is no other stable project right now.

So it is more like a "I, James, am working on it and this is not the
right time now and there is no way to help me and I don't want other
people to work on it." This may or may not how it is intended but
it feels like this to me.