[csw-maintainers] call for apache2 testing

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Fri Oct 1 16:20:47 CEST 2010

On 01/10/10, 15:10:03, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] call for apache2 testing:

> > I'm playing being ignorant of how to use alternatives (very easy
> > because it's true) and letting update do its thing.  My expectation
> > is that it is left in the same mode after update as before.  Maybe a
> > new worker package can do the alternatives thing for me.

> This is likely what I'll have to do.  Re-instate the dummy
> CSWap2worker package that does nothing but run a postinstall script
> that drives a call to alternatives --set.  I'll need an updated
> CSWalternatives first though, as the current implementation of --set
> is broken (bug filed yesterday).

> I'll ensure there is a message noted about using alternatives to
> toggle the mpm.

There is a message but it's easily lost and didn't tell me ho to get
the worker or any hint on what alternatives is.  Part of the problem
is that alternatives itself is a mystery.

<message>

Hello CSW User/Sysadmin,

Please note that some recent changes to packages may affect the way
you're used to working with the CSW apache2 packages.

In the past, CSWap2prefork and CSWap2worker delivered a specific mpm
module for use with apache2.  We now ship both mpm modules as part of
CSWapache2 and allow you to toggle between them using the alternatives
support that recently materialized.  The default mpm is prefork.

We still provide CSWap2prefork and CSWap2worker for the time being,
but they're dummy packages used only to fill dependencies.

Thanks
-The OpenCSW apache2 team.

</message>

James.