[csw-maintainers] An idea for a shared libraries policy

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Oct 8 11:53:34 CEST 2010

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

> > Unfortunately, few OSS authors understand how to correctly deal with
> > library
> > interface versioning.
>
> This is very interesting. We have a long-standing issue about
> incompatible
> API-changes to libnet:
>    http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2009-March/007191.html
> Could these maps help solve the issue?

This thread unfortunately does not mention what problem exists.

If someone really a function in a way that is not compatible with previous
versions, you are lost and the only way to deal with the problem is to have
multiple libs with multiple names.

What you can do with versioned symbols is to flag that there is a version
1.5 foo() but no version 1.2 foo().

Jörg