[csw-maintainers] Revisiting the GCC4 Undefined symbol __sync_fetch_and_add_4 nonsense

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Oct 13 14:17:43 CEST 2010

Wow, this e-mail remained unanswered for a long time.

No dia 10 de Setembro de 2010 17:56, Geoff Davis <gadavis at opencsw.org> escreveu:
>  Hi all,
>
> I'm battling with a program called NetCDF that can't be compiled under Sun
> Studio due to problems with the redistribution of the Fortran to C
> libraries.

What's the current status of the Sun Studio build?  I remember Dago
putting together a Fortran library package.  (And discovering that
some binaries weren't build for the architecture they were supposed
to.)

> I'm attempting to compile under GCC4, but I'm getting a link
> error in the C++ bindings where it starts looking for a symbol called
> __sync_fetch_and_add_4. I'm on a Sparc system, so this of course fails.
>
> Roger mentioned that he tweaked the compiler options for GCC4 from -mcpu=v8
> to -m32. I tried this but checkpackage whined that all of my binaries and
> libraries were compiled for v8+ instead of v8 and wanted them in
> arch-specific sub directories.

Is a hardware instruction present in sparcv8+, and not in sparcv8?
Does anyone know?

> Also, I haven't been able to get ahold of Ihsan recently. I actually sent a
> couple of emails to this list last Friday, September 3, but they never
> posted. I'm trying to use the mail.opencsw.org SMTP server instead of my
> work SMTP box in case there is some weird interaction there.

I've seen a commit from Ihsan today.  Did you get hold of him?