[csw-maintainers] Packaging gems and package naming conventions

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Oct 18 21:07:19 CEST 2010

Hi Phil,

Am 18.10.2010 um 20:54 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On 10/18/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Remember, our version string is now extra long too, so software name
>>> and package name need to be kept short to compensate for that.
>>
>> This doesn't help on packaging e.g. Perl modules. Having
>> catalogname != CPAN upstream name is a *real* burden, IMHO
>> much larger than having a couple of long lines.
>
> but you already "fixed" this, by agreeing that the description field
> (and possibly also some other field I forget) would have the official
> upstream full CPAN name.

Nope, this is for the admin to find the module. What I am talking
about is fully automated package- and dependency generation.
Restricting the package length to this small limit makes a
database (or list) of CPAN modules vs. package names necesessary
which could otherwise just be calculated from the CPAN name.