[csw-maintainers] upcoming extention to catalog format: SITEFEATURES

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Oct 22 00:58:35 CEST 2010

This is mostly an FYI to Peter B, but I'm copying the list as a nicety :)

I'm about to implement something I've been having on the backburner
for a long time:
A SITEFEATURES magic comment, in the catalog

This is not a per-package extention, but a site-wide extension, meant
to be hidden in the comments.

Syntax is as follows:

# SITEFEATURES feat1 feat2 ...

Note that "SITEFEATURES" must be the entirety of "second column" as
per awk definitions.
Each following feature must be a column unto itself, as per awk definitions.

Only planned imminently supported feature is going to be "gzipcatalog".
This specifies, "This site provides the catalog in gzipped format".
That is to say, you can expect to find "catalog.gz" alongside "catalog".

This should make updates a little quicker. 140k vs 500k.

I havent quite implemented it