[csw-maintainers] upcoming extention to catalog format: SITEFEATURES

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Oct 22 21:27:46 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Oct 22 15:23:10 -0400 2010:

> > Fair enough.  The errors for a missing file wouldn't be nice.  That
> > being said, you still haven't indicated how this is a useful 'tag' to
> > embed in the catalog itself?  Why not place a 'hints' file as part of
> > the mirror that is fetched first.
>
> because there is much less overhead this way, latency wise

Well, you need to bootstrap the hint info, so you're either pulling
the unzipped catalog once or pulling the hints file once.  I'm not
seeing the advantage here yet.

As you mentioned, this won't force a behaviour change in pkgutil, so I
don't really care that you're fiddling in the format...I just don't
see the point.

> > Are you envisioning sites that don't have a .gz version of the
> > catalog?  This would be a local site then, running a catalog overlay?
> >

> or sunfreeware.com or blastwave or ...

Ok, this makes more sense.

Thanks