[csw-maintainers] [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs mutt, mutt_base, mutt_ncurses, mutt_slang

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Sep 19 13:54:20 CEST 2010

Hi Phil,

Am 18.09.2010 um 16:51 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Thursday, September 16, 2010, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Am 17.09.2010 um 00:30 schrieb Philip Brown:
>>
>> Wouldnt it make sense to have the Muttrc, be a more cross-system
>> 'global', than an individual one?
>> If so, wouldnt it be better to keep it in /opt/csw/etc ?
>>
>> IMHO not. Having stuff in /opt/csw/etc is only good if there is
>> no reason whatsoever to have zone-specific files. I can't see
>> this is true in this case.
>
> I think we have to differentiate between "possible" and "reasonable".
>
> why would anyone reasonably change it for a zone?
> I would think that would only happen on extreme cases.
>
> the reason I'm being particular about this, is that it would seem far
> more likely to me for a site to want to have all machines deploy mutt
> with the SAME configuration.(and I have had specific experience as a
> site admin doing this with mutt )
>
> Putting the default location in /etc makes that much more difficult.
> whereas if you put the default in /opt/csw/etc, they could make it a
> symlink, in the unlikely event they wanted zones to be different

Either way, by symlinking /etc/opt/csw/muttrc to /opt/csw/etc/muttrc or
vice versa you can have the desired behaviour. That being said I would
value consistency higher than to select where configs are put on a
package-by-package basis. And as we have decided with /etc/opt/csw as
default for configurations I think it is better to put everything in
there as you can still link back if you need it.