[csw-maintainers] Easify OpenCSW bootstrapping on a server

Gordon Marler gmarler at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 21 19:29:45 CEST 2010

On 09/21/2010 01:15 PM, Philip Brown wrote:
> On 9/21/10, Gordon Marler <gmarler at opencsw.org> wrote:
>
>> >From site to site, it's never safe to assume that anyone has installed
>> any of the /{usr,opt}/sfw packages.  Frankly, I've never actually been
>> to a place that installed them by default.
>>
> ??
>
> Gordan, are you looking at some solaris 9 machines?

No - looking exclusively at Solaris 10.

> Solaris 10 **requires** packages under /usr/sfw

While Solaris 10 may require *some* packages that deliver payloads to
/usr/sfw to be installed, wget is not one of them.  Across 1400 Solaris
10 systems I have access to, only 3 or 4 of them have had that
particular package installed.

It's fairly normal for your OS Security folks to come down with an edict
that SFW packages aren't installed by default, not that I advocate that
either.

> So I think your viewpoint needs to be adjusted to be up to date.

Oh dear - that's an unexpected comment.