[csw-maintainers] [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs rb18_libxml_1_1_4

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 7 21:23:09 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Apr 07 14:20:33 -0400 2011:

> This is a new naming scheme.

Yes, it's borne out of the ruby dublin discussions.

http://wiki.opencsw.org/ruby-dublin

> Or, if you want to just release something without need for discussion,
> seems like
> ruby18_libxml_

The rb_ standard was good and this is the logical extension of the
prefix for a world where a gem will be for 1.8 or 1.9.

The new naming scheme also allows for multiple gem versions to live on
the system at once (the same capability that gem offers if you install
manually).  This eases the update burden over time as we don't need to
provide a transition path from one set of gems (think rails) to
another, where the upstream community has made incompatible changes.
It's basically the same idea that drives our library splitting.

Discuss. :)

Thanks