[csw-maintainers] Problem with neon rebuild

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 28 00:10:10 CEST 2011

I remember a discussion about potential checks that could help identify
problems caused by package upgrades, but problems occurring with other
packages rather than the package being upgraded. If we had such automation,
it would prevent problems like this one from happening in the future.

The basic plan would be:

- establish a list of packages potentially affected by the planned upgrade -
run checkpkg against this set of packages and record all non overridden
errors thrown by checkpkg. The set of packages should not include the
packages from theplanned upgrade. - run checkpkg again, against a slightly
modified set of packages: this time include the new versions of the packages
to upgrade - if any new errors are thrown, it means that our upgrade breaks
other packages and it should be stopped.

I'm sure there's a fair amount of devil to be in the details, but this check
looks doable to me. I don't have ideas what false positives would we get
from it. They would be hard to override, especially if they concern legacy
packages.

This mechanism would be best a wrapper around checkpkg. I don't want to add
more functionality to the core checkpkg executable unless really necessary.

If anyone is up for implementing this functionality, I'll be happy lend a
hand and show where to get resources, e.g. json catalog representations.