[csw-maintainers] web visibility of packages

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Aug 7 00:17:35 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I'm now looking at the web code to display package info.  Unless we're
going to modify the way things work so that we can pull primary info
from the catalog database backing csw-upload-pkg, we need to complete
the mantis integration at the same time as the web package database.
The wordpress code uses both databases.

Maciej: Would you like to pool resources on this?  This _could_ be
done as another restful interface that is called by the backend of
csw-upload-pkg.  For each package in the set of things uploaded, the
backend would make a request of the form:

/register/pkgname/?maintainer=...&...
/deregister/pkgname

A re-registration (eg: version bump) would force in fresh
information.  This would accommodate takeovers as well.

Separating this logic to a separate unit would have the advantage that
when we're ready to switch BTS we have a nice modular place to do it.

Additionally, this interface should manage both the mantis and the
other database as a single unit.  This would make things a
one-stop-shop for the csw-upload-pkg backend and make it easier to
fully merge these databases in the future.

Am I missing useful commands to the restful interface?  It might make
sense to have some sort of generalized query too, but I see that as
less important than stuffing info into the database.

Thoughts?

Thanks
-Ben

[1] I'm in the lets get things running before replacing everything
    camp for now as I don't have the time to invest in the larger
    project yet.