[csw-maintainers] nginx + passenger

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 16 00:35:14 CEST 2011

Hi Jesse,

A short reply as I'm in flight...multiple nginx packages with different options could be facilitated via alternatives. This would require some coordination but is possible.

Thanks
-Ben

Jesse Reynolds <jesse at opencsw.org> wrote:

Hi Andy (and maintainers)

I'm a newbee maintainer so apologies in advance for the dumb questions.

I see you maintain nginx - yay. I use nginx with passenger for semi-high availability ruby on rails hosting (doing both front end load balancing / failover and the nginx-passenger-ruby instances at the app tier).

What are your thoughts about adding the passenger module to the nginx package? My first thought is that this creates too many dependencies, ie ruby, but perhaps it can be only an optional runtime dependency? I'm not sure what nginx would do if it's compiled with passenger support and you remove ruby (and the passenger ruby gem).

So, failing that, would it make sense to have a separate package named nginx+passenger or something? Or is there no room for such things with the opencsw naming convention?

Or do you think this falls in to the basked of 'sorry opencsw can't help you'?

Cheers

Jesse