[csw-maintainers] nginx + passenger

Jesse Reynolds jesse at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 16 10:38:20 CEST 2011

2011/8/16 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>

> 2011/8/16 Jesse Reynolds <jesse at opencsw.org>:
> > It has no plugin architecture - you have to recompile nginx to add in
> it's
> > modules. Andy already includes a bunch of modules with configure lines
> like
> >  --with-http_dav_module and so on.
>
> If that's the case, you could (as you said) see if you can recompile
> nginx with passenger support, and separate out the files responsible
> for handling that support, if that's possible. You would just need to
> make sure that nging would still work with these files missing (i.e.
> the nginx-passenger package not installed).

Yeah, as we discussed on irc just now, that won't work because when you
compile modules into nginx they are literally compiled into the one
monolithic binary executable. It doesn't link to a shared object or anything
like that. So I think it's a case of either:
a) creating an nginx_passenger package, which incompatables the existing
nginx package or
b) adding passenger support to the existing nginx package, with a soft
dependency on ruby and the passenger gem (ie you can use passenger configs
with passenger if you've also installed ruby and the passenger gem)

In any case, I'll try to create a package for the passenger gem as this will
be required for either option.

What's best?