[csw-maintainers] Most shared directory entries

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 28 22:45:08 CET 2011

Hi Ben,

Am 28.12.2011 um 18:31 schrieb Ben Walton:
> Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Wed Dec 28 11:51:00 -0500 2011:
>> shipping these directories, perhaps we could move the ownership of
>> these directories to CSWcommon and gradually remove them from the
>> packages?
>
> +1.  We should likely add all of the man/man* directories.

I have mixed feelings about directories in CSWcommon. Why do we have them at all?
The only real reason I see for CSWcommon are the 64 -> (sparcv9|amd64) symlinks,
and even those could be delivered in each package. Could you outline the real
value of taking out directories?

Additionally we should IMHO strip all locale subdirectories as this is a complete
mess - we ship around 30% of the locale-specific subdirs and leave the others for
inclusion in each package. If at all I suggest keeping only a minimum set.

One more thing: The cause for the warning after bootstrapping CSWpkgutil and
then futher installing packages is because pkgutil does not have directory
entries for the dirs in CSWcommon making them default owner:group, on update
these are "don't belong to anything"-rewritten, so CSWpkgutil is probably
a special case to disable exclusion completely.