[csw-maintainers] Catalog checks via REST

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 29 16:05:54 CET 2011

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Tue Dec 27 13:23:28 -0500 2011:

Hi Maciej,

> The current situation with the catalogs is that we don't have good
> diagnostics of catalogs. If something goes wrong, the new catalog is
> not pushed, but we have no feedback about what was wrong, until
> Dagobert pulls out a cron email from the depths of his email inbox.

I've considered routing a few mails of this nature to devel@ or
buildfarm@ so that they're seen by more people than me.  Specifically,
I'm considering the mantis and web db update scripts, but others such
as catalog generation would be good candidates too.  If this were
done, we'd want to move the execution of the scripts to role accounts
(this should be done anyway) so that multiple people can jump in to
look at issues if required.

Using the REST URLS, you'd need to rewrite the json -> catalog code
(not huge, but still redundant).  If we simply routed the email
differently, we'd get a heads up and not duplicate code.

If you're talking about new, deeper, checks on the catalog than what
chkcat currently does then ignore the above paragraph.  I still think
getting this type of mail in front of multiple people is a good idea
though.

Thanks