[csw-maintainers] Catalog checks via REST

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 30 20:13:59 CET 2011

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Thu Dec 29 15:17:06 -0500 2011:

> > Chkcat can be run with --erroronly which supresses all warnings or
> > with --quiet which only returns an exit code of 0 for OK, 1 for
> > warnings found or 2 for errors found.
>
> What about sending emails? chkcat doesn't know anything about
> emails, so it needs either a wrapper, or an extension. You might
> also want to send only one email from a series from runs. For
> example, when you check the unstable catalog, you run it
> {sparc,x86}×{5.8,5.9,5.10,5.11} = 8 times. If there's a problem, the
> same problem will be present in most of the catalogs. In such case,
> you don't want to send 8 emails, but only 1 email (with a
> summary). Someone has to sit down and solve this before we can have
> meaningful reports on the mailing list.

We currently have a single job that generates all of the catalogs and
has them signed.  This script could be wrapped to suppress mail unless
there is an error[1] or have the scripts it drives run quietly and
only spew cron mail on stderr or non-zero exit.  That would be a
better solution, imo.  It takes care of being courteous to mailboxes
and summarizing everything.

This all assumes that the script is spamming Dago every time it runs,
which is something I don't know.

Thanks
-Ben

[1] I have a script that does this already (as I'm sure many of you do
    as well).  If it's useful here, I'll share it.