[csw-maintainers] Aliased names vs dummy packages [Was [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_webpy]

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 3 10:20:27 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:19 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Ben Walton's message of Wed Feb 02 21:12:34 -0500 2011:
>
>> Also, I'm thinking to propose   webpy|CSWwebpy-alias =>  py_webpy|CSWpywebpy
>> as a naming strategy.
>> Slightly "breaks" our     soft|CSWsoft 1-to-1 correlation, but seems
>> nicest compromise.
>
> I don't understand the advantage of breaking the consistency?  It
> makes it more visible if skimming either the catalog or the
> /var/sadm/pkg directory, but otherwise it doesn't offer much.  Are
> these common enough activities to warrant breaking the consistency?  I
> don't do either of these very often, but maybe others do?
>
> I'm not against the idea though as it doesn't really hurt anything
> either.
>
> If we do make the break, I'd suggest going with CSWalias-webpy.  That
> would at least have them sort together with any other 'alias'
> packages.
>
> Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Is this really a problem worth solving? Being consistent with our own
naming standard actually makes it easier for our users to find the
right package as well.

With the stub packages, they are something transitioning away when not
needed but these aliases will stay forever because we will never know
if anyone uses them. Also this inflates our package count without
adding any real content.

/peter