[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement proposal

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Feb 3 18:48:03 CET 2011

2011/2/3 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> Continuing a topic started last month[1], I'd like to put forward a
> proposal[2] for shared library placement.  Most of our package would
> not be affected by it; it's most of interest to the maintainers of
> packages which put shared libraries under custom prefixes.  For
> details, please refer to the proposal.
>
> Maciej
>
> [1] http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2011-January/013595.html
> [2] http://wiki.opencsw.org/proposal:shared-library-placement

I object to the proposal as it stands, and ask that the following paragraph,

"Public shared libraries, the ones that other software projects can
link to, should be put directly under /opt/csw/lib. If a project is
compiled using a custom prefix and the installer puts shared libraries
under /opt/csw/foo/lib, shared libraries need to be moved to
/opt/csw/lib by the maintainer.
"

be rewritten to be,

"Public shared libraries, the ones that other software projects can
link to, should be put directly under /opt/csw/lib.
If a project is compiled using a custom prefix and the installer puts
shared libraries under /opt/csw/foo/lib, [change start here]
a symlink  /opt/csw/libXX -> /opt/csw/foo/lib/libXXX, should be
created. Additionally, this symlink should be created IF and ONLY if,
the SONAME and filename for the library are unique. If on the other
hand, there is potential for multiple versions of the library to be
installed at one time, under different prefixes (/opt/csw/foo3,4,5),
and the SONAME is not unique, then no symlink in /opt/csw/lib should
be created.
"

Rational for this has already been given in the above-referenced email thread.