[csw-maintainers] [POLICY] Policy-team

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 6 23:26:03 CET 2011

I have an idea about the process of codification of our policy.  The
general idea is that we do it together as a community.  One person
prepares a change, and sends it out so others can see it and comment
on it.  When the change is accepted, it can be committed to the
repository.

To make the process work smoothly, the person who sent the change,
needs to know when is it okay to submit the patch.  On our mailing
lists, things usually work the way that whenever a proposal is
submitted, comments provided are primarily criticisms.  Proposals are
pass when critical voices fade away.

I'd like to suggest to add a new element to the process.  There
probably are people who are interested in the policy making more than
others.  I guess that it would be probably three or four people.
Let's call them policy-team.  When a new patch is sent out,
policy-team reads it, and if the patch looks good to them, they
respond: "looks good".  If there are criticisms, they need to be
addressed as usual; however, if there are no criticisms, there will be
2 or 3 affirmative voices, which will constitute a basis to submit a
patch.

It's not that only the policy-team people would take part in policy
making.  All patches would be sent to the mailing list, and every
maintainer would have an opportunity to read and respond.  The idea
behind policy-team is to have a group of people who will always
respond to a policy related patch, stating whether they support the
change or not, and helping the process go forward.

Volunteers?  Thoughts?