[csw-maintainers] [POLICY] Policy-team

Jonathan Craig jcraig at opencsw.org
Mon Feb 7 16:38:39 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/7 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
>> Regarding voting thresholds, I don't have an opinion on that.  I guess
>> that the higher the threshold, the easier it is for a minority to
>> block a change.
>
> It's a zero sum game, The flip side of the above is, the lower the
> threshold is, the easier it is for "dumb ideas in the long run" to get
> through.
>
> Given your original premise of attempting to get "general consensus"
> before making policy, 50% sounds contradictory to that.
> 75% agreement sounds closer to that principle.

As a middle ground a simple majority could approve a change with a
minimum discussion time that allows full discourse.  A super majority
could approve a change and bypass/limit the minimum discussion.  This
help prevent the ramrodding of questionable items while speeding along
items with consensus.

majority           - 50% - 1 week
super majority  - 75% - 2 day
consensus       - 100% - no minimum