[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement proposal

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 8 09:41:06 CET 2011

2011/2/8 Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> My preference, as the whole point of this proposal is to have more
>> libraries available in /opt/csw/lib, is to prefer the files to be
>> placed in /opt/csw/lib and the symlinks (if any) to be in
>> /opt/csw/special/lib/.
>>
>> Does anyone think this should be the opposite by default?
>
> yes. I've already written this, AND I've already written why.
> Because that is the "normal" way that programs install things, when
> you compile with
>  configure --prefix=/opt/csw/prefix
>
> That is the "normal" location ,

No, it isn't.  Our prefix is /opt/csw, and a subdirectory underneath
it is not our prefix.  If a maintainer uses a custom --prefix setting,
it's most probably because of file conflicts in /opt/csw/bin, and
--bindir=/opt/csw/bin/specialdir would suffice.  There are also other
ways of achieving this goal.  As it stands in the proposal, a way to
support multiple versions is outside the scope.

> This is consistent with standard behaviour. For example,
> /usr/openwin/lib. that is/was the "real" location of the libX11
> libraries, but for convenience, symlinks were made from other
> locations pointing to there.
> We are in the same situation. We basically want a reference in
> /opt/csw/lib, for convenience.

The proposal, as it stands now, allows such symlinks to be made, if
there are reasons to do that.

> Plus the issue about keeping "du -k" output consistent within the
> program files for a prefix.

This issue is considered irrelevant.