[csw-maintainers] [policy] Re: feature patching, and naming

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 8 14:49:46 CET 2011

Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Tue Feb 08 02:10:53 -0500 2011:

Hi Dago,

> - Lets remove i/s as it is good to always release a bundle. The i386
>   only was used in the past if someone made a manual mistake during
>   packaging and wanted to respin i386 only. This is IMHO generally
>   bad. If an error occurs all packages should be
>   rebuild. Introducing extra complexity to allow for manual patching
>   is not a good idea. We should focus on full automation and the
>   flag is useless for this.

I thought these flags were used when a package wouldn't build on one
platform or the other for some reason...?  If it has only been used as
you indicate above, then I agree that it's not a good choice.

> - If the "p" flag is present there should be checkpkg-check that
>   /opt/csw/share/doc/<catalogname>/README.CSW is present.

Agreed.

Thanks