[csw-maintainers] [policy] Re: feature patching, and naming + source packages?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 8 17:02:39 CET 2011

Hi Sebastian,

Am 08.02.2011 um 16:07 schrieb Sebastian Kayser:
> * Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:
>>> - If the "p" flag is present there should be checkpkg-check that
>>>  /opt/csw/share/doc/<catalogname>/README.CSW is present.
>>
>> Absolutely right.
>
> Can I ask the naive question of why we need this at all when all the
> applied patches are easily visible from the repository?

It indicates that a package contains software that does not work
100% the same as the pristine version does. The flag is not for
"make compile" patches, but for contributed upstream patches not
yet applied to upstream. Personally I see no real need for this,
but it is a nice to have the locally applied things documented.

Apart from that I would like to note that we already have source
packages which can be activated at any time by calling
  NOSOURCEPACKAGE= gmake repackage
or by changing the GAR default "NOSOURCEPACKAGE ?= 1". The source
package will include the upstream sources and all patches.