[csw-maintainers] /usr/{local,share} references

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 8 20:07:29 CET 2011

2011/2/8 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> Can you re-state what benefit and effort you speak about?

The effort is in going through files one by one, looking for reasons
why /usr/local is present in them.  Then figuring whether they should
be removed or not, and patching them if necessary.

The benefit - in some cases, we can discover places where software
might try to scan directories for purposes of discovering files, e.g.
mime.types.  In other cases, there might be hard-coded references to,
say, interpreters, which might be actual bugs.  I don't have any other
examples.

> Note aside, this show that this is a moot issue. For example, in
> gcc3objc I provide a README.CSW which states:
>
>         2. /usr/local/include or /opt/sfw/include are not part of the
>            default include search path.
>
> This is evidently valid.

Yes, agreed.

> I think that spending too much time on removing *all* references isn't
> worth the effort.

Yes.  Just reviewing them, without removing, is also a lot of time.