[csw-maintainers] /usr/{local,share} references

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 8 22:20:30 CET 2011

Hi Phil,

Am 08.02.2011 um 21:40 schrieb Philip Brown:
> 2011/2/8 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
>> I've spent some time researching the scale of /usr/{local,share}
>> references.  I've re-indexed our catalog and compiled a list of all
>> files that currently trigger this error:
>>
>> http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/~maciej/files-with-bad-content.html
>>
>> The numbers are: 4010 occurrences of /usr/local and 1564 occurences of
>> /usr/share.
>>
>> Some people probably already had worked with their packages cleaning
>> up /usr/{local,shared} references.  What are your thoughts about it,
>> given the number of occurrences of this issue in our catalog, is the
>> benefit worth the effort?
>
> I dont think its worth attempting to put together a project whose
> purpose is to go through and eliminate references in all pre-existing
> packages.
>
> On the other hand, it seems a no-brainer to do so for new or updated
> packages going forward.
>
> After all, it should be fairly trivial to throw together an automated
> script to do it with minimal effort
>
> A silly little example being
>
> for f in `find . -type f | xargs grep -l /usr/local` ; do
> sed 's:/usr/local:/opt/csw:g' $f >$f.cswfix; mv $f.cswfix $f
> done
>
> Feel free to rewrite in your preferred language of perl, python, or
> whatever floats your boat :)

You are not serious about this, right? It is a no-brainer because no
brain is involved in this fix. Using this script says "checkpkg,
shut up!" and "Phil, shut up! I don't care about quality and just
want my package to go through." In inspected a couple of my package
and every occurence needs to be verified manually. There are even
scripts looking for configuration stuff which should keep the include
to /usr/local but must have /opt/csw manually added and the check
overridden. Or have just one occurrence corrected and keep another
in an example section. If we are talking at the level of brainless
replacement let's just drop the test, ok?

This is even more bad than keeping /usr/local because it says "I have
looked at it and judged to replace it" instead of "well, I kept the
defaults, if they are wrong I look again".

BTW, I found in yaz a real positive where tons of stuff is correctly
auto-configured with the exception of one path to /usr/local/share/...
and a comment /* Don't know how to make this with autoconf */ :-(
And, yes, this is important to 100% functionality.