[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement proposal

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Feb 9 05:56:26 CET 2011

2011/2/8 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> 2011/2/8 Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>:
>
>> As far as I can think of, there is no clean simple grammatical
>> construct you can use, that covers  "move the file, or make a
>> symlink".
>> Using the word "move" in the spec, denies the use of sylinks. The
>> whole point of symlinking, is to NOT move, but make a reference
>> instead.
>
> Please take another look at the revision 2011-02-08 of the document, I
> don't think it mandates the use of regular files only.
>
> http://wiki.opencsw.org/proposal:shared-library-placement

As requested, I took another look.

I hate to say it, but perhaps must do so. Please take this in the most
neutral manner;
perhaps you are missing a nuance of English in this. Using the word
"move", disallows symlinks.
You have to use a different word.

The last paragraphs almost make flexible use of the word "move", but
only becuase they dont fully mandate putting anything in /opt/csw/lib
at all.

In contrast, where you do mandate something, you unambiguously used
the word "move" again.

" If a library previously thought to be private is in fact needed by
other software, it has to be first moved to the shared library
location,"

SO:

"has to" == "must"

"moved to the shared library location" == "mv blah.so /opt/csw/lib".

That wording disallows symlinks.