[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement proposal

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Feb 11 02:55:40 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Feb 10 13:03:36 -0500 2011:

Hi Phil,

> > If you would like to include the output of "du -k" in our
> > policies, the proper way to do this is sending out a proposal.
>
> This is ludicrous. you are setting up absurd hurdles specifically
> targetted to justify you ignoring this issue, with no other benefit.

I'm sorry, but until every package is built by default with
--prefix=/opt/csw/mypackage[1], thus making 'du -k' a csw-wide feature,
it's nothing more than an artifact.

You really don't want to consider artifacts when setting policy do
you?

Please note that I'm not saying you don't presently find it a useful
thing to do, I'm simply pointing out that when setting a policy, it's
not a good selection criteria.

If mysql or berkelydb or any of the other special packages were moved
to --prefix=/opt/csw in full at the next update, it would immediately
invalidate your current use of 'du -k' and that is a perfectly viable
thing for a maintainer to do.

Moving on...

Thanks
-Ben

[1] I've forgotten the name, but there is a Linux distro out there
    that does just this.  Every package is placed in its own prefix
    and symlinks from the central location are provided.