[csw-maintainers] the problem of imapd

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Feb 15 23:43:50 CET 2011

Hi folks,
we're looking for suggestions/volunteers.

Yann has got a pending update to cyrus imap, in newpkgs.
Trouble is, we now detect we have name clashes, and inconsistencies,
with the other two.. yes two.. imapd packages.

There is UW imap, aka CSWimap. maintainer, retired
Also, CSWcourierimap. separate maintainer, also retired.

The particular issues are twofold.

1. name clash about the manpage.   courier and cyrus both provide "imapd.8"

2. inconsistency about naming, and location:

/opt/csw/sbin/imapd
/opt/csw/libexec/cyrus/imapd
/opt/csw/bin/imapd

Suggestions? Volunteers to take over and clean up at least one of the
non-cyrus packages?

>From what I remember, there *are* particular reasons why some people
would favor cyrus, but others courier. So we cant just drop one of
them, sadly :(

We might be able to get away with dropping the actual "imapd" part of
the UW one, but the stuff that comes along with it.. the libraries,
etc.. are actually critical for some other programs compiling stuff
with imap clients, if I recall correctly.