[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement proposal

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Feb 16 18:33:49 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Jonathan Craig <jcraig at opencsw.org> writes:
>
>> [...] I personally don't look at policies as being written in stone
>> and therefore require exhaustive research to fully specify them the
>> first time.  Policy simply directs our actions in achieving a given
>> outcome.[...]
>
> Agreeing on this would shorten the length of our discussion and keep its
> focus.

Nice theory. Unfortunately, in practice, what this usually results in,
is a maintainer submitting a package,
which then bumps up against an ambiguity in the policy, and then they
start screaming, "There's no policy against that, let my package
through NOW!!!! Stop wasting my time discussing this!!"

So, if people were more polite and patient, this would be a decent way
to go. But given how people actually act, better to get the discussion
fully done now.

I have another email coming up, addressing a question than Jonathan
had, in a minute.