[csw-maintainers] the problem of imapd

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Feb 16 19:13:31 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from James Lee's message of Wed Feb 16 05:10:26 -0500 2011:
>
>> Recommendation: Tag as incompatible.
>
> I'm ok with this.

I'm not. It breaks our long-standing standards that installing
everything is okay.

(reminder: if you use autoenable_daemons=no in csw.conf, you can
install everything, but not have any port conflicts, becuase nothing
is started up on any port, except what you explicitly choose to enable
on that specific machine)

AND, it doesnt solve our issue of filename clashes anyway.
Are you also saying, we stop caring about filename clashes?
Or that we're going to make some new fancy database schema about "warn
about file conflicts.. EXCEPT if you cross-reference this other
special database of exceptions" ?

We already ship multiple things that are functionally incompatible if
started on the same port.
Are you also pushing to flag postfix, sendmail, and exim as incompatible?
and the multiple webservers?
and the multiple ftp servers?