[csw-maintainers] Call for vote: -dev vs. -devel

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Feb 25 15:50:00 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Geoff Davis <gadavis at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Phil,
>
> I'm inclined to agree with you that the pros and cons should be summarized
> neatly rather than forcing people to dig into the mailing list. However, I
> don't think it's necessary to recall the current ballot as it stands for a
> simple matter such as this one. I just re-read this entire thread, and the
> pro and con list is very short.

yes, it is only a small amount of things. Shouldnt that be an argument in
*favor* for "hey, its easy to fix, so lets do it quickly and move on"?
I just want to make sure that the ballot shows the effective work impact of
each way.
6 vs 120 packages
long time to converge, vs short. (days vs months!)

Perhaps a wiki page should be put together for this vote with the pro and
> cons of the argument - I certainly don't see the harm in it. Since people
> have 6 whole days to vote, there is no reason to cancel the ballot,
> especially since people can change their minds up until the end of the
> election.

well, this isnt a matter of "cancelling", since the "vote" has not
officially started yet. I'd like this to be resolved, and start voting! :)

> Since you are a proponent of providing a summary for ballots, please also
> consider providing a summary of your objections at the beginning of a
> discussion so that others can see the entirety of your point of view at
> once, and perhaps let the small stuff go. Otherwise, it just looks like you
> are trying to kill the discussion with a thousand cuts.

I will certainly try. At the same time, I hope its understandable that I'm
not omniscient, so I dont see all possible issues at once myself! :-}