[csw-maintainers] MySQL shared libraries - how about /opt/csw/lib?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 2 15:36:37 CET 2011

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Sat Jan 01 20:18:27 -0500 2011:

> No, it didn't.  If I wanted to suggest anything about binaries, I
> would write "binaries would be kept under..." and I'd specify the
> location.

Ok, then I rescind my +1 if only the libraries are to be moved.  I
also though you meant doing away with the whole mysql{4,5} prefixes
and using alternatives with some form of binary suffix setup.

What I'd like to see in the multiple mysql arena is:

1. Use the normal --prefix=/opt/csw at configure time.
2. Use a version based suffix on binaries (4, 5, 51).  (Hopefully this
   is supported by the autoconf for the packages.)
3. Have mysql4 provide alternatives at priority 1, 5 -> 2, 5.1 -> 3,
   etc.

If we're only moving the libraries, I don't see much point.  It's
doable, as you say, but what real value does it provide if we still
drag around the rest of the version specific directory structure?

Thanks