[csw-maintainers] Intents to package

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 7 01:16:44 CET 2011

No dia 4 de Janeiro de 2011 22:22, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> Certainly. But that has nothing to do with announcing "intend to package".
> If that sort of problem comes up, it seems straightforward to make a
> targetted email,
> "I'm looking at packaging X, but run into problem Y. How would people
> suggest I solve problem Y"?
>
> the subject should be more about "problem Y". the fact that it is
> contained in "package X" is only peripheral information.

This works as long as you know in advance what the problem is.  In
practice you often don't.  For example, I would have never guessed
that there would be a problem around files vs symlinks in /opt/csw/lib
(in the mysql libraries thread[1]).  I would have only hit it when
trying to submit my package.  Thanks to the ITP thread I was able to
know about the issue in advance.

You can say that it's a general issue with shared libraries, but we
wouldn't come across it if we didn't consider the specific case of a
package compiled in a custom prefix.

[1] http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2011-January/013609.html