[csw-maintainers] MySQL shared libraries - how about /opt/csw/lib?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 7 01:41:10 CET 2011

No dia 2 de Janeiro de 2011 20:55, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> well, there's "supported" , and then there's "users do odd things sometimes" :-)
>>>
>>> there are also some side benefits, such as, a 'du' on the mysql dir
>>> will give accurate results for an admin who wants a quick check on
>>> that sort of thing.  there's probably other small benefits like that I
>>> haven't thought about long enough to come up with.
>>
>> That's the problem: once you're committed to one solution over
>> another, you have a tendency to keep on finding as many "reasons" for
>> it as you like.  I'm sure that if you thought for a minute, you would
>> come up with an equal number of arguments for the opposite solution.
>>

> well, how about _you_ think for a minute and see if you can actually
> match your claims of "sure"ness then?
> Your timer starts now. go!
>
> 60...
> 59...
> 58...
>
> :)
>
> Come on now, what you wrote is completely out of order.
> Either come up with reasons, or let it go. you cant have a valid
> argument with your statements above.
> And putting the word "reasons" in quotes, is playing semantic games,
> instead of discussing the issue rationally.

I think it's silly.  I can come up with a number of reasons for files
in /opt/csw/lib, no problem, but that's not the point.  The point is
that you, Phil Brown, do not discuss issues rationally, and this
discussion is one of many examples.  You can always come up with
logically true statements pointing in any direction.  The number of
variables in play is immense, and you can keep on adding new ones as
you go along.  You can always come up with a user doing something
plausible, in which your solution would seem better.  Ultimately, the
actual reasons with which you come up with do not matter that much -
what matters is that you send an e-mail that includes something having
the appearance of an argument.  Whoever gets tired first, loses.

Coming up with new bogus arguments is easy.  Coming up with new good
arguments is hard, because you have to think them through, and throw
away all the bad ones yourself.  Therefore, the person who looks for
good arguments, get's tired quicker, and the person making bad
arguments wins.

This kind of e-mail exchange is not a rational discussion.  It's an
endurance contest.