[csw-maintainers] Intents to package

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 7 02:49:04 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jan 06 19:36:09 -0500 2011:

> certainly for bigger packages it is useful to mention it and ask for
> any gotchas.  I shouldn't say "never announce".

How about 'announce if you feel like it.'  It doesn't hurt and can
result in good discussion.  We're not large enough to require ITP
where the benefit is that you don't have multiple people doing the
same work.  The upside of an ITP for us is the ensuing discussion (if
any).

> I also wanted to avoid giving maintainers the impression that from
> now on they "have to announce".  that might discourage people from
> experimenting with a new package, if they aren't initially sure they
> want to take it on.

Agreed.