[csw-maintainers] MySQL shared libraries - how about /opt/csw/lib?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jan 7 04:53:45 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> No dia 2 de Janeiro de 2011 20:55, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
>>
> You can say that it's enough to place a symlink from /opt/csw/lib to
> another place that contains the binary file and programs will work -
> fine,

and that is indeed my position

> do we do that in other packages?  We don't, we place the
> actual files directly under /opt/csw/lib.

and that's not really any kind of deliberate decision or policy, but
merely a convenient side effect of
  --prefix=/opt/csw
for MOST packages.

however, for packages where prefix != /opt/csw, we dont always do that.
(in fact, I think we RARELY do that)

> It's true that MySQL
> executables are under /opt/csw/mysql5, but it's an exception rather
> than a rule.

Yes, this is exactly my point. programs with their own sub-prefix are
special. Perhaps we should make a specific variation on our standards,
for programs with sub-prefixes.
Something like, "if shared libs are generated under $PREFIX !=
/opt/csw, it is recommended
 to create a symlink in /opt/csw/lib, pointing to the appropriate library"

I will also point out, that our berkeleydb packages also keep their
shared libs under their own subprefix, rather than keeping the actual
.so files in /opt/csw/lib

> MySQL binaries under /opt/csw/mysql/bin do not have their own shared
> libraries;

ahh.. actually, many of them use libmysqlclient.

Perhaps you did a check "ldd /opt/csw/mysql/bin/*", but forgot they
are using isaexec?

but if on other hand you check like this...

bender$ ldd /opt/csw/mysql5/bin/sparcv8/mysql|grep mysql
        libmysqlclient.so.15 =>
/opt/csw/mysql5/lib/sparcv8/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.15

Perhaps you meant they do not use "private" shared libraries?