[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Jan 9 03:47:49 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Noted; I'll do this next time.  I did run this wording past Maciej and
> Ihsan.  In the meantime, here are the ballot options, since this isn't
> a secret:
>
> 1. Files and directories are allowed to be delivered to /var/opt/csw
>   directly by the prototype of a package.
>
> 2. Directories may be delivered to /var/opt/csw by the prototype of a
>   package, but files may not.
>
> 3. Neither files nor directories may be delivered to /var/opt/csw by
>   the prototype of a package.

okay, the choices are neutral enough. The thing is, though, you sent
the poll directly to all current maintainers. Not all maintainers may
be reading this thread.
Did you reference the reasoning WHY people might choose one or the other?
There may be quite a few people who go vote, who havent actually read
the discussion thread.

Telling people "here, choose between A or B", without giving them
explicit comparisons between the two, or at least references, can in
itself be a a subtle, yet heavy bias.