[csw-maintainers] Dependencies on SUNW packages (was: newpkgs libslp1, openslp_devel)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 10 00:49:23 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sun Jan 09 18:11:12 -0500 2011:

> errr... maybe I'm missing something here. But we already have a
> "test"/safety check. it works with pkg-get, pkgutil, and even plain
> old
> pkgadd.
> Declare a dependency on SUNWslpu.

Ok, ignore the last portion of my previous reply.  This landed while I
was composing that.  This is good, but not great.  The problems with
it are:

1. It sill makes an admin find this package from some (potentially
   inconvenient) location.
2. We've been previously bitten by name changes in SUNW packages.
   This would be a maintainer burden going forward if it happened.
3. Some of the toolchain needs modification to handle this nicely.

None of these by themselves are showstoppers, but taken as a whole,
they're not very attractive.  Modifying the tools is the easiest to
swallow.[1]  The name change issue is only a potentiality but James
has pointed out that this _has_ been a problem with other packages
previously.

What do you say to sunslp vs openslp?

Thanks
-Ben

[1] Peter B: Why do you have your tools handle SUNW deps the way they
    do?