[csw-maintainers] /testing Please help test new Perl package with changed INC

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 12 16:25:22 CET 2011

After years of having a Perl binary with a weird default INC we will
now change it. This is the current INC:

root at sol10[trunk]$ pkgparam CSWperl VERSION
5.10.1,REV=2010.12.10

  Compiled at Dec  6 2010 17:53:49
  @INC:
    /opt/csw/lib/perl/5.10.1
    /opt/csw/share/perl/5.10.1
    /opt/csw/lib/perl/site_perl
    /opt/csw/share/perl/site_perl
    /opt/csw/share/perl/site_perl
    /opt/csw/lib/perl/csw
    /opt/csw/share/perl/csw
    /opt/csw/share/perl/csw
    .

This means that when we package the latest version of a module that is
included in core Perl it will not be used by default since the INC
places built-in (5.10.1) before vendor (csw). It also means that if
you build your own modules, via e.g. CPAN, they will not be used
either if they are also in core Perl. Locally one can manipulate the
INC but we think it's time for a more reasonable default one. This is
the new INC, the same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 uses:

root at sol10[trunk]$ pkgparam CSWperl VERSION
5.10.1,REV=2011.01.06

  Compiled at Jan  5 2011 18:06:53
  @INC:
    /opt/csw/lib/perl/site_perl
    /opt/csw/share/perl/site_perl
    /opt/csw/share/perl/site_perl
    /opt/csw/lib/perl/csw
    /opt/csw/share/perl/csw
    /opt/csw/share/perl/csw
    /opt/csw/lib/perl/5.10.1
    /opt/csw/share/perl/5.10.1
    .

The above would first use your locally built modules (site_perl), then
our packages modules (csw) and last the built-in modules from core
Perl.

Note that this doesn't matter if a CSW module package (or your CPAN
module) is not in core Perl, it would of course be found with the old
INC as well, the problem is when you want to use a newer version of
something that is included in core Perl.

Does anyone object to this change? Any reason we should not change this?

We have also fixed an issue with DB_File.pm missing from the latest
package. See https://www.opencsw.org/mantis/view.php?id=4544.

You can install the new package with:

# pkgutil -t http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/opencsw/experimental/perl-new -i perl

Direct links to the packages: