[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jan 14 18:51:58 CET 2011

On 1/14/11, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Ben Walton's message of Sat Jan 08 16:54:57 -0500 2011:
>
>> The vote is open from the 9th - 13th inclusive.  As with the board
>> vote, I have no indication of time zone handling for this, so I made
>> it a 4 day window that includes weekend and weekday times.
>
> The results are in:
>
> Files and directories are allowed to be delivered to /var/opt/csw
> directly by the prototype of a package. => 8 votes (57%)
>
> Directories may be delivered to /var/opt/csw by the prototype of a
> package, but files may not. => 4 votes (28%)
>
> Neither files nor directories may be delivered to /var/opt/csw by the
> prototype of a package. => 2 votes (14%)
>
> Phil: please adjust your scripts to allow packages delivering
> directories and/or files via the prototype to be allowed through.

I will for now. However, I have a complaint. As I mentioned
previously, your voting writeup unfairly biased the vote.
Because you sent a global vote invite to all active maintainers, but
you included NOTHING about potential reasons why people might consider
each option.
This leaves people who have not read this thread, yet are *still
voting*, in essentially the following situation:

"Please vote for one of the following:
a) Put files whereever you please
b) Disallow files in this location, for no particular reason at all"

The choice in that situation is obviously always going to be 'a'.