[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 17 15:10:08 CET 2011

James Lee <james at opencsw.org> writes:

> On 14/01/11, 13:21:24, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote regarding Re:
> [csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw:
>
>> The results are in:
>
>> Files and directories are allowed to be delivered to /var/opt/csw
>> directly by the prototype of a package. => 8 votes (57%)
>
>> Directories may be delivered to /var/opt/csw by the prototype of a
>> package, but files may not. => 4 votes (28%)
>
>> Neither files nor directories may be delivered to /var/opt/csw by the
>> prototype of a package. => 2 votes (14%)
>
>> Phil: please adjust your scripts to allow packages delivering
>> directories and/or files via the prototype to be allowed through.
>
> Also please can someone remove the references to supporting NFS share
> of /opt/csw (as we now don't), that is eg:
>
> http://www.opencsw.org/about/core-principles/
> http://www.opencsw.org/use-it/sharing-optcsw/
> http://www.opencsw.org/about/faq/
>

> and probably some others.  Further it would be good to add an additional
> note and make an announcement to explain the change in policy.

I'm begging for a different opinion: we still support sharing /opt/csw
through NFS for most of our packages but there are some which are not
supported "from the shelf"; for those not supported without
administrator intervention a caveat can be published in the README.CSW
which also document how to do it if there is a way to. Consequently it's
more about modifying the referenced documents than removing them and,
for the announcement, there is no need to make a big fuss aside
explaining this minor change in policies.

There are also gray cats.
--
Peter