[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 17 17:38:22 CET 2011

On 17/01/11, 15:48:33, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw:

> > "most" isn't support.  It's unsupported but if it works for the subset
> > of package you chose then I'm not going to stop you - until my package
> > breaks your system.
> >
> >> There are also gray cats.
> >
> > We've not made a rule about cats.

> This is a way to say that a manichean attitude is a little bit
> rigid. Manichean is when you say "'most' isn't support". Non manichean
> is when 'most' is support with exceptions and corresponding documented
> warnings. With all due respect I think that this is a finicky
> discussion. Nobody talks here about ayatollish absolute support except
> if we wish to stay in the pure Persian tradition.

You in particular have been complaining about discretion in the CSW
process.  If you don't like a rule don't make it.  I do hope those that
drove the democratic decision actually understood the issues, else, in
the best tradition of referenda, we'd better try again until we get the
right answer.

I'm completely at ease with not supporting NFS, but don't pretend it's
supported when we have policies that contradict it.

James.