[csw-maintainers] When a shared library needs a data file

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jan 18 22:11:52 CET 2011

On 1/18/11, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Am 18.01.2011 um 20:56 schrieb Philip Brown:
>>> I'm not convinced whether it's better to provide magic.mgc in an
>>> isolated file.  We would still need a package for
>>> /opt/csw/share/man/man3/libmagic.3 and
>>> /opt/csw/share/man/man4/magic.4.  It should be neither CSWgfile, nor
>>> CSWlibmagic (deprecated), nor CSWlibmagic1 (libmagic.so.1 only), nor
>>> CSWlibmagic-magic (magic.mgc only).
>>
>> I think we have a fairly clear existing "standard" on that already.
>> libmagic_doc
>
> IIRC it is different. section 3 stuff goes into *-dev and
> section 4 stuff should be in the packages with the containing
> files *unless* we have a documentation package which should
> only be made if the documentation is really large (like qt).

What do you base those statements on?
I dont recall ever reading something like the above in our standards.

If people want to put ALL the doc files in _doc, including development
related documentation, there is nothing stopping them that I am aware
of.
_devel, is at minimum, for files *required* for developing/compiling.
Technically speaking, man pages and other docs are not "required" there.